Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Monster Toes Booties Crochet Tutorial

I made these Monster Toes booties for a friend's sweet new baby! I don't have the entire pattern in this post, but hopefully I can walk you through it.


Start with a basic bootie pattern, one that comes all the way to the ankle in front. I like to use this pattern, making sure to work in a spiral and not join my rounds, otherwise I end up with a weird line across the bootie! I modified it a little, working the increases in round 2 evenly (2 hdc in each hdc all the way around), and I skipped the instructions after round 7 and before the rows, and just worked back and forth in rows.

When working back and forth in rows I worked my stitches in these side loops to avoid ridges.


After finishing row 14 and joining, I created a ribbed cuff as follows:

Hdc - half double crochet
FPDC - front post double crochet
BPDC - back post double crochet
Sl st - slip stitch
Sc - single crochet
Rnd - round

Round 1 - Attach at heel, chain 1, pick up 18 hdc around, join with slip stitch to close.
Rounds 2-3 - Ch 1, fpdc, bpdc around to close.

After this, I made four monster toes per bootie and sewed them on.

Toe: 

Rnd 1 - Ch 1, 3 sc in magic ring, sl st to close (3)
Rnd 2 - Ch 1, 2 sc in each sc, sl st (6 st)
Rnd 3 - Ch 1, sc around, sl st (6)

And there you have it! I made them to match this hat:


You can find the pattern for the hat here.

I hope to have them up for sale on my Etsy shop soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment