Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Snowflake pattern (Applique)

I've decided to start posting some of the patterns I use to make my hats and various other items that I make. I hope all of you crocheters who are interested will be patient with me - although I design TONS of my own patterns, from pictures or from severely adapting other patterns =) I've never written any of them down, generally going more by feel than by any concrete set of instructions.

This pattern is for the snowflake applique. It was originally a pattern that I found on a website somewhere, but I memorized it, did it a bunch of times, and it gradually morphed into something rather different, and easier to sew onto my hats.

Snowflake Hat Applique

Ch - chain
Sc - single crochet
Dc - double crochet
St - stitch
Sl st - slip stitch
Rnd - round
Rep - repeat

Picot stitch (used for snowflake tips) - Ch 5, sl st in base of ch 5, ch 6, sl st in base of ch 6, ch 5, sl st in base of ch 5. Sl st in base of first ch 5.

*For those of you who don't like scrolling through tons of pictures, I've included a copy of just the pattern at the bottom.

Rnd 1 - Sc 11 stitches in a magic ring. Magic rings are wonderful things, and leave smaller holes in the center of your crochet project as they allow you to pull the hole tightly closed.


Tighten the magic ring and close with sl st to first sc.


Rnd 2 - Ch 2, dc in next st, ch 3, *dc in next 2 sts, ch 3, rep from * around.


This should produce 6 loops. Sl st to ch 2 at beginning of rnd.


Rnd 3 - Sc in first ch 2, dc space.


3 sc over ch 3


Picot: ch 5


Sl st in base of ch 5


Ch 6, sl st in base of ch 6


Ch 5


Sl st in base of ch 5


Sl st in base of 1st ch 5


3 sc in other side of ch 3. Sc in space between next 2 dc.


Repeat for each arm/branch of snowflake. Sl st to 1st sc, and fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing. Weave in center end.


Attach to anything you desire to make a little more snowy!


Rnd 1 - Sc 11 stitches in a magic ringTighten the magic ring and close with sl st to first sc.
Rnd 2 - Ch 2, dc in next st, ch 3, *dc in next 2 sts, ch 3, rep from * around. This should produce 6 loops. Sl st to ch 2 at beginning of rnd.
Rnd 3 - Sc in first ch 2, dc space. 3 sc over ch 3. Picot stitch (Ch 5, sl st in base of ch 5, ch 6, sl st in base of ch 6, ch 5, sl st in base of ch 5. Sl st in base of first ch 5. 3 sc in other side of ch 3.) Sc in space between next 2 dc. Repeat around. Sl st to 1st sc, and fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing. Weave in center end.

No comments:

Post a Comment