Sunday, May 4, 2014

Favorite recipes

He places the lonely in famililes... Part 3 is still in the works. While pictures were loading, I took a little time out to write this post.

I've enjoyed learning to cook so much that I thought I'd post links to some of my favorite recipes that I've made since I've been in South Africa (and some that I've made back home, but haven't tried here yet). I'm not a very good blogger, or I'd have taken pictures of my own results instead of just posting links, but I thought you'd enjoy them anyway...


This is yummy! I just made it last night. It's even roomie-proof - I had Alyssa turn it off last night after I was spontaneously invited out to see a movie. (Side note - movies here cost the US equivalent of $2-3 - how awesome is that?!)


This is the one for which everyone wants the recipe. Personally, I'd like to find a way to make a little less puffy. I used half the yeast called for, and it was still very bread-like. It is good in its own way though, and its redeeming virtues are that it is cheap and you can freeze half the batch for next time. I stick the Ziploc in some hot water and it's thawed before you know it. I use part white and part wheat flour for this recipe.


Ok, I haven't made this one here yet, but I did it at home, and it's worth mentioning because homemade peppermint patties are DELICIOUS!


This is another recipe from home that I keep meaning to make. You will have to scroll down a bit to find it.


In case you need something yummy to spread on your scones, well, this is delicious.


So happy to finally find a recipe that works! The making of these cookies has been the downfall of my family for years...


I announced that I was going to make these, and Alyssa thought I said "squirrel."


A friend sent me this recipe. I'd increase the sugar...I like them a little sweeter. I think they'd be nice with cinnamon and raisins, too. They are kind of labor intensive but nice when you can't buy them.


This is really good. It would be nice with blueberries. Too bad they are so expensive here.


Don't leave it in longer than ten minutes, no matter how much you are tempted. It'll burn. Trust me, I know. It hardens up after it cools (thanks to Heather for that bit of advice...)


I'd been in search of a wonderful, gooey chocolate zucchini recipe. It's quite nice with white chocolate chips too! (Well, I had to use chocolate bark, due to the woeful lack of proper chocolate chips in this country, but it was still good.)


They probably have croutons here, but I always have just-about-to-go-bad bread, so it's simple and cheap to make my own.


This I haven't found here yet, except instant packets. It's very rich and fattening!


They don't have proper chocolate syrup here either - it tastes kind of like molasses. I'm glad to be able to have chocolate milk again! Yes, they sell chocolate milk here, but all the kinds I've tried so far taste fake.


These were delicious! I had to make a lot of substitutions (like bacon instead of salami, ham, etc.) but it's a pretty forgiving recipe. Also, it tells you how to do it without a panini press. Thankfully we have plenty of nice, heavy bricks under our bed!


This stuff is amazing! I can eat an entire head of broccoli in one sitting. I'm hungry for it now, actually, first thing in the morning...


This is what I use to make mac 'n' cheese. Super easy and no weird ingredients.

Salted Caramel Pumpkin Muffins

I used butternut instead of pumpkin, because it's what I had on hand. Love this recipe...

Onion Rings

Despite the unassuming nature of this blog, this recipe is DELICIOUS and works. Well, as long as you don't try to substitute the buttermilk with milk...

Anyways, these are a few things I've discovered on the internet. =) My list of things I still want to make is much longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment