Thursday, May 28, 2020

Lockdown Files - Week 3

Day 15: Nothing unusual to report today. I cleaned the house and polished the floor until it squeaked, and did some reading. We ended the day with a cozy fire and a braai...something to look forward to when the days all start to run together.
Thankful that even in the valley, God is with us.


Day 16: Today we did some baking. It was Little T's night to help and I think she enjoyed it (especially the tasting part...). Cinnamon rolls, hot cross buns (first time with those - used leftover donut filling for the crosses - will see how they taste tomorrow) and the lightest, fluffiest melt-in-your-mouth dinner roll recipe ever. (Link: https://youtu.be/5Ce2IJgxW2E - yes, video recipes are not my favorite but this one is worth it.)





This last picture is a tiny bit of what I have been doing for Bible study/meditation for the last few months. It looks like a mess but it describes my mental process very well.  I told someone the other day, “I’m sorry it takes so long for me to explain how I get from point A to point B. It doesn’t take me that long in my head...it’s like I have ZIP files in there or something!”


Day 17: Happy Easter! So glad that even though we might be physically restricted, nothing can take away our freedom and joy in Christ.


This morning I did Sunday school with the kids and we told the Easter story using the Resurrection Eggs...same set we had when I was a kid, apparently they have a less 90’s looking set now but I’m so glad the story is still timeless. They really enjoyed it. And listening to them pray is very sweet and funny. Big T told God all about how he wasn’t supposed to play with electrical appliances and Little T always prays for me to have a new heart and KK just mumbles and mumbles until I finally say “amen!” 


We colored some eggs as well. I showed them how to write on them with a light colored crayon first. I was hoping to find white eggs this year - I saw them a few months ago - but with the situation at hand we just had to make do with the normal ones. 


We enjoyed lunch outside and after we put the kids to bed, we were able to sing and listen to the sermon together.





When they all woke up we arranged a little Easter egg hunt for them. This is more fun if you as an adult don’t forget where you hide some of the eggs.








Afterwards we watched a movie and I did KK’s hair. M and I had leftover soup and more fresh bread for dinner. All in all it was a lovely day. So thankful that I have everything good I could ever need or want in Christ, but also that God is good in so many smaller things as well.


Day 18: Nothing too exciting going on over here today, except that I matched what must have been at least 50 pairs of socks while listening to the kids play in the bath. Also, Lockie has been awake and fussy for an unnaturally long time. 
Day 19: Everything is starting to blur together, but apparently it’s really getting bad with Big T.
T: Can we do class today?
Me: It’s not Sunday.
T: Then which summer is it?K: Let it GO, let it GO...There is no escape from Frozen...

Today was our house dad’s birthday, so we baked a cake. It tasted kind of funny at first but it improved with time and icing. There was a slight cave-in on one side, but we won’t talk about that. 
They all like to lick the beaters and the bowl, but as you can see, Big T is the most committed...



I’ve been practicing my violin most days now, and today Babybear and KK came over when they saw me get it out.
B: Blablabla let it go!
Tonight was my first SMTI class on Zoom. Although I’m eagerly anticipating the return of WiFi, the connection wasn’t TOO bad and I actually managed to hear most of it. As you can see, Lockie is also studying as well.



Day 20: “We are playing violin like auntie Abbie!” May I note, they also probably sound better than I did when I started... 


So thankful that Morongwa is here helping, I’m already going kind of crazy but if I was staying downstairs alone it’d be MUCH worse. Lockie is not really the most chill and sleepy baby...


I got out my nice dishes for breakfast this morning. It’s interesting how something small like dishes can trigger anxiety or feed into what is already there.


I have a whole set of these back in the US, and I miss them (never mind that I don’t actually have room for them here and would probably end up using my normal ones most of the time anyway). My grandma had this pattern and although most of hers were broken eventually, I received the few pieces that were left and added to them with garage sale and thrift store finds, gifts from friends, etc. They always meant a lot to me and I hoped that someday I would be able to use them in my own home.
Fast forward to now. I finally have my own house, something I eagerly (and often with a bad attitude) wanted for years and God graciously decided to give me in His own good time. Only, bringing extra suitcases full of dishes is not free and requires some level of commitment to staying where you are staying. And as for me, well, right now my mindset is that I’d like to stay here till I die (and I’d like that to be quite a long time from now...).
Yet, my visa has to be renewed every three years and it’s not guaranteed that it will go through. This is normally something that eats me alive with worry if I’m not 24/7 choosing to trust God with it - which is not easy and I don’t always do. And it hasn’t been easy lately - I can’t even leave the house, let alone travel internationally, and although I have about 15 months left on my visa, it’s still scary.
So please keep praying for me. I naturally want to ask that you pray that I can stay here (I always want to add “forever” but that always reminds me that Heaven is a WAY better place for that word) - and please do.
But please, pray that I can trust God with today and with all the tomorrows and that I want him more than security and more than service and more even than all of the people that I love SO much. Pray that I can see this as something more wonderful and not some kind of miserable duty (see the blog post I shared the other day about whether surrender should be dreaded or not...). Pray that I can have the right attitude toward my family in Christ here and not depend on them for the security and stability only God should give me and that I can love them in the right way. Please pray for endurance as this isn’t something that is easily or quickly resolved.
Also, please keep praying for patience. They say that’s dangerous but I’ve already got all the situations where I need to practice it. I’m just lacking the actual patience itself...and if you want to tell me all about how Emmett the Lego can fly - WHILE I AM USING THE BATHROOM - or some other such nonsense, you will probably see that for yourself. 

Day 21: Today we started a craft I found on FB, only to realize that tempera paint does not at all stick to foam trays. Guess we will be trying it again with cardboard. I’m sure the kids won’t mind; they LOOOOVE painting. My enthusiasm for them painting is just a tiny bit less, because cleanup...but it does keep them busy and entertained!


Lockie is growing! He does love his milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment