Monday, April 27, 2020

Lockdown Files - Week 1

Hey everyone!

We are currently under a lockdown in South Africa due to the coronavirus, and we have been for four and a half weeks. I've been posting daily on my Facebook page, but I decided to compile the posts on here so that I could more easily access my "journal" of this time in the future.

Day 1 of ?? - complete. It's a different vibe for sure. I struggle with the uncertainty but am enjoying the peaceful vibe a little. We had a cookout. SpecialK and Babybear are very obviously living their best lives now. They had their first s'mores. The new baby slept a lot (although apparently nights are a different story).

So thankful for Morongwa coming to stay with me for the duration, keep me company, and keep toddlers from plunging headfirst into the fire pit while I prepare dinner.





Day 2: Apparently, to make themselves feel better about staying at home, people in our neighborhood have decided to drag out the speakers and party. Although I truly can get on board with making the best of the situation and enjoying what you can...it's 22:30 and I really would love to sleep soon.

Day 3: Reading books, Sunday school, prayer time, after-church tea, and baking banana bread.

Things I never anticipated saying: "You're both allowed to slap my car - stop fighting over it!"






Day 4: "Take work home" they said. Meet "Work." Our surprise newborn. He did need a better code name...I ended up calling him Lockie. I have to confess I was hoping for a girl so that I could call her Tina...short for Quarantine.


Day 5: I mixed up paint for the kids (cornstarch, water, and food coloring...doesn't everyone have a spare 5kg bag of cornstarch lying around?) and let them paint my porch. They had a blast.

To be honest, I didn't feel like doing anything that involved this much effort...not with everything going on and how hectic it's been...but I was glad I did. It helps me cope better with the lockdown to do some "normal" activities and to accomplish things. And the kids barely fought for like, a whole hour...







Day 6: We baked Mrs. Peters's birthday cake (from the picture book The Seven Silly Eaters). Big T declared this morning that "today is FUN DAY!!! which is probably more positivity than any of the rest of us feel about the current state of affairs...although his day didn't end up so great in the end, so I guess we're not seeing a career as a prophet in his future. We did enjoy baking, though.




Day 7: Today we video chatted with Auntie Sarah (which included a truly off-key rendition of "Into the Unknown" courtesy of Big T.
Also, KK learned to ride a scooter and we were all so proud of her determined little self. I didn't even know a barely-2-year-old could balance on a two-wheeled scooter. It was really precious - the 2Ts have this little song/cheer they sing for her when she does something they are proud of. "Well done, well done, our clever girl. Shine, shine, our clever girl!"


No comments:

Post a Comment